Thursday, January 22, 2009

Encouragement

We all need encouragement. Amelia needs encouragement right now for reading. Meredith for using the potty. Malin for still feeling tired after having malaria. And I needed encouragement today after spending 3 hours removing genital warts. I know that sounds unpleasant. It was unpleasant. But as I was feeling sorry for myself for missing lunch again, wondering if my surgery was making any difference in this patient with AIDS, Dr. Wesche quietly came in behind me. He had asked me to perform the surgery in the first place for this lady and has worked at Tenwek over 30 years. "Wow," he said, "Look at how much you have relieved her suffering. Some people wouldn't have bothered because of her status, but she couldn't even sit. You have helped her so much." These were the words I needed to hear and not forget. We are here to help however and whomever God places in our care.  My thoughts needed redirection away from myself and back to her. Dr. Wesche has set this example for countless years. His humility, compassion and servant's heart are spoken of frequently. What a legacy to leave and to encourage in a young physician!

2 comments:

Bryan and Jane Myers said...

Hey, guys! Just got caught up on your blog. So sorry about Malin have malaria. Goodness, Sara--you were busy--3 hours (did anything break at that time?). I'm proud of you.:) Yes, Dr. Wesche ROCKS, doesn't he? He(and Dora) is one of the most wonderful people in the world--he holds such a special place in my heart. I love all the stuff about your references to The Sound of Music. In fact, I'm watching it right now! Give the girls hugs for us! Much love!

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers and thoughts. I love the pictures & the updates. You are amazing,
God Bless you for sharing the gifts that God has given both of you. You are making a difference in people's lives.
Terri