Friday, July 23, 2010

Thanks to Christian Hospitality Network


























It's been a fun week. We were invited by Christian Hospitality Network to come relax and enjoy a Kenyan Getaway on them. After the 45 minute drive to Brakenhurst Conference center we were warmly greeted by Southerns (at least I think Tennessee is part of the south coming from Washington). There's something about a drawl, a warm hug and a huge smile that draws you in but what really got the girls was an enormous gift bag filled by families who don't even know them. The spoiling continued as Malin was taken golfing. Amelia, Meredith and I went to a tea farm, enjoyed a four course lunch and walk in the forest. Then there was the jewelry give away (you can see me telling the girls just one piece). And of course haircuts, massages, hand massages, physical therapy and a chiropractor all at our disposal. Sometimes being a missionary is rough and sometimes its just plain fun. We're so grateful for the many people, none of which personally knew any of the 150 missionaries there who freely gave us a time and place to rest and relax.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can call it a hand massage, but I know have a picture of Malin getting what looks to me like manicure!!! I knew all his harassment of me being 'less of a ma' was just a cover...

He will NEVER live this one down.

On a compassionate note, I'm so glad you four got a break. You look great. Sorry to have missed you on the skype call...it's all folks are talking about!

Derek

Anonymous said...

It's a tough life being a dentist (few are called to endure as I). You wouldn't believe all the hand cramps you can get from handling those delicate instruments and manipulating into patient's mouths and awkward angles. This hand maiden invited me to pull my sleeves up and step up to her table. And I went for it...and yes I will never live this one down. Thanks for caring Derek!

Malin

Anonymous said...

It's a tough life being a dentist (few are called to endure as I). You wouldn't believe all the hand cramps you can get from handling those delicate instruments and manipulating into patient's mouths and awkward angles. This hand maiden invited me to pull my sleeves up and step up to her table. And I went for it...and yes I will never live this one down. Thanks for caring Derek!

Malin

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you guys got to go to the retreat! Jason and I were at Whitestone Inn in Tennessee enjoying an early anniversary get-away (with Zoe with us of course, the boys stayed with my sister). Jean, one of the women who was in charge of the retreat owns Whitestone Inn in east TN along with her husband and they welcome missionaries to stay there free of cost. We were just wondering as we were enjoying our stay there and talking to Paul (Jean's husband) about the getaway in Kenya if anyone we knew would be attending. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, you deserve it ( :
Emily M. in TZ (on furlough in TN)

Anonymous said...

Derek, I am with you. Malin, Dad and I thought it was a manicure for sure. You all deserve it. Getaways are balm for the soul.
Mom F

Anonymous said...

Malin, is that really you getting a manicure??? Living with three girls had definetely rubbed off! Hope they did a pedi too, that's the best part! Ha, ha, ha. Love you,

Kiersten

Gary said...

You've got to love christian hospitality networks right? It is so nice to know that there are people out there who will lend a hand or help out in anyway.