Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The encourager

Whenever I've taken a spiritual gifts assessment, the gift of encouragement is always on the list, but never by my name. I admit I find it hard to "encourage." It's much easier for me to be analyze, try to improve, critique and yes sometimes be critical. But I see in Meredith the very thing I find hard to do. At dinner, "You make the best soup ever mommy." At bedtime, "You're the best mommy ever and you're mine." At breakfast, "I love to wake-up and see you mommy." During the day, "You're my favorite mommy, when I grow-up I'm going to be a mommy like you." "Mommy you look pretty." "Mommy, I like how you painted your toenails purple." And it continues talking on the phone with Nana and Papa, "Nana, you're the best Nana ever. I really miss you." To her sister after falling, "Sweetie you'll be okay. Let me help you." Okay, you get the point. She gives more encouragement in 24 hours than I usually give out in a month. Hebrews 3:13, "Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." I pray Meredith will always be quick to encourage and that I will be quick to encourage others as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara, you wrote a very insightful assessment of yourself. You made us chuckle. We can learn so much from our children and grandchildren. You are a great mom. Living with Meredith is a great way to start the day!
Grammie

Ana said...

I love this post, Sara. It's so sweet that even a 3 year old has spiritual gifts--and at that age she just does what is natural to her without concern for what people will think or how a comment will be interpreted, she just is who God created her to be. I love it! I also love that picture of you guys...it's really good!