Friday, January 22, 2010

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

To how many people has recitation of Psalm 23 given the weary rest, given the distracted peace, given the sinner restoration, given the fearful hope, given the sick comfort, or given the stranger a home?

Amelia surprised me this morning as she recited Psalm 23 from memory (they have been memorizing at school). It was meaningful as Amelia's Dad to hear her recite such a long text from memory. She spoke sometimes with cadence, sometimes rushed, sometimes decelerating as her memory caught-up, sometimes mispronouncing words, and sometimes omitting a phrase.

I don't know if Amelia understand all of Psalm 23. Yet, I do know God has now written His word in Amelia's heart...where no one can take it away.

4 comments:

Megan N said...

I do believe the verses we memorize as children stick with us, even if we do not understand them at the time. Sometime in life they will come back to us when we need them. Way to go Amelia!

Anonymous said...

This story touched my heart. I do agree with Megan. The verses I learned as a child in Sunday School and VBS are the ones that I remember the most, even today. Keep working Amelia. God will bring these verse to mind just when you need them. I am in Denver for Anna's birthday and we are talking about you and Meredith and looking at lots of pictures.
Love, Grammie

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Honey! I have always said that this was one of the big pluses of Christian Schools. You learn so much scripture and those words are with you for life! Love you, Nana/Mom

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, everyone. They are there forever. Psalm 23 was also my first scripture to memorize in Sunday School in La Canada California. I remember the setting even. It all came back in Technicolor this morning as I read this post.

Keep on memorizing, Amelia. You and your parents will see great joy in this and your life will be forever enhanced.

Kathy from Snowy Bend