I know I am likely several days late with this information as many of you have already made generous donations to excellent relief agencies to help with the crisis in Haiti. But if you still feel inclined to help out through financial donations to a relief agency I think Samaritan's Purse is a superb choice. Because of these 10 reasons listed below we have donated to SP for relief to the crisis in Haiti.
1) They have already 21 team members on the ground.
2) By the end of the week they will have materials to build 6000 temporary shelter.
3) They have cargo planes coming and going daily.
4) Samaritan's Purse receives a 4 star rating (highest possible) from Charity Navigator (a charity rating service). Their efficiency rating surpasses American Red Cross and World Vision. 89% of their donations go directly to program expenses (in this case relief efforts to Haiti if so designated). Less than 5% go to administration.
5) We have been to their headquarters in Boone, NC and were astounded by their organization, professionalism, expertise, humility, and Christ focused attitude.
6) SP will have the ability in the next week to produce half-a-million gallons of fresh water daily in the capital city of Haiti.
7) Scott Reichenbach our Post-Resident Coordinator with Samaritan's Purse who we communicate with weekly has been put in charge of coordinating the medical response team to the crisis in Haiti.
8) SP's donor services often call their donor's directly to thank them for their donation (I found this out from several of our donors). They really care about their donors. Easy online donations are available at www.samaritan'spurse.org
9) World Medical Mission (SP's medical arm) has a medical team of 7 going in on Monday and WMM already has relationships with Haitian Christian Mission Hospitals in which to coordinate medical care.
10) The aid (bottled water, shelter, flash lights, food, medicine, hygiene kits, medical care) all comes wrapped in the Gospel message of a God who despite the horror of this tragedy cares for you.