Monday, March 30, 2009

The Tenwek Motto


Almost every visitor takes a photo with this sign that greets patients, physicians and families at Tenwek. But there are some hard questions that come in believing, "We Treat. Jesus Heals."

How does this motto play out? Do I really believe Jesus heals? Why are there times Jesus doesn't heal? How should we distribute limited resources for healing? Why do patients have to pay up front for most treatment? Should we ever turn anyone away? 

Learning to treat difficult and complex problems, I need to remember to ask Jesus for help and healing. It's a joy to be at a hospital where we openly pray with patients. In fact it's the first thing we do before starting any operation.  As I witness babies  revived from asystole, mothers' saved from hypovolumic shock, antiretroviral therapy strengthen HIV patients,  women recover from sepsis, I know Jesus is healing. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great questions.

i always find that when i am more aware of the healing/new life that Jesus has done in me, the more able i am to see the healing that Jesus i doing all around.

you guys are an inspiration...not so much because of what you (although it is pretty cool), but because of how you try to see the world.

derek

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. Those questions will, I'm sure, stretch you everyday. A good stretch tho, in the end.

I wish you the best and am praying for Grammie's trek home. I know she will miss you as you will her. I'll bet Grandpa will be coming sometime soon.

All my best,
Kathy
Bend, OR