Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Off to Nairobi

We're leaving early tomorrow to renew our visas in Nairobi. Tomorrow is actually the last day we're allowed legally in country on our current visa. So we're praying for a smooth trip and ease at immigration. The girls are particularly excited about this trip because we are going with the Crognale family to a pool on Friday for fun. Amelia claims she is ready to learn to swim better and Meredith already dunks herself in the bathtub. Malin and I are just hoping the weather is hot and the water warm. 

Our grocery experience, is well, always an experience. Friday we head to the local version of Walmart "Nakumatt" and buy all the non-refrigerated items. Next we go to Guilliani's to order our meat and have it frozen for our trip back to Tenwek. I imagine it's like a trip to the deli in the early 1940s. Individual service, every cut imaginable. And the most ironic part is that hamburger costs the same per kilo as a steak. It's all part of the same cow. But since meat is expensive we're eating a lot of vegetarian meals, pumpkin soup, quiche, rice and beans, etc. Saturday we buy the odds and ends we need. Sunday it's time to pick-up our meat, and go the green groceries for veggies and fruits. All and all I find it exhausting to think ahead for meals for the next 6-8 weeks. But it does mean that I will be out of pager range and truly able to relax (after we arrive safely from the drive). 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip guys! I think it sounds like fun. I especially like that you're eating more vegetarian meals. Malin, did you want me to bring some pepperoni sticks when I come in April :)? I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly for you!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying. Let us know more about your Nairobi experience and the shopping. It is good for perspective :-)

Prayers for each of you,
Kathy
Bend, OR

John said...

Guilliani's sounds like my kind of place!

Hope all is well with you guys and good luck with the visas. I can't imagine them not wanting you to stay - after all, who else is going to befriend all the geckos and wounded birds?