Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Foolishness

A recent conversation with a friend:

So let me ask you a question.
Sure.

You live in Africa, right?
Yes, for the past two years.

You have kids right?
Yes, I have two daughters.

So, I just trying to make sense of this. You have young kids who will need college tuition. You are in in your highest income potential time. And you have decided to practice in Africa. Are you independently wealthy or something?
No.

Are you getting paid a lot by your organization.
No. Certainly not, but we are grateful for their support!

So, this just doesn't make sense. Why are you doing this?
I'm trying my best to live out my Christian faith just like many others, and go where it leads me.

The conversation changed topics to sports at that point. But I appreciated this friend because he was simply trying to figure out why I (a logical guy) would make such a seemingly foolish professional decision. He is not the first to question what we are doing.

But I wonder how many of us have also been in situations where living out our faith seems foolish; coaching a kids team when you could be earning some overtime pay, declining a promotion to be a better mother or father, donating money that could otherwise be used to shore up a retirement fund, giving a way valuable things to someone in need that could be sold for profit, spending your spare time pounding nails to build a house for the homeless when you ought to be resting, teaching a Sunday School class when it isn't at all your gift, forgiving an angry neighbor when they don't deserve your kindness. I think it happens all the time...what foolishness have you accomplished?

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom,
and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

1 Cor. 1:25

No comments: