Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Encouraging

Proverbs 12:25 (Amplified Bible)

25Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad.

This proverb is particularly fitting for my heart which is often filled with anxiety. Our visit to Tenwek last weekend was more than a celebration it was encouragement. Being able to visit and pray with friends over work challenges, hearing thoughtful words from a general surgeon, getting 8 ounces of Tilamook Cheese as a gift, eating with other families, and spending time together as a family made my heart glad.  

But anxiety so easily creeps back as I returned to busy wards, sick patients, 2 babies dying during labor, trying to resolve interpersonal conflicts, complex surgeries.... but as I'm leaving today the main OR coordinator encouraged me.  And yet, I know her day is filled with many demands as well.  So I wonder, perhaps an anxious heart is also eased by encouraging others? After all if we can focus on others, rather than ourselves, then there should be less time for anxious thoughts and worry. 

1 comment:

Megan N said...

I think you're right that encouraging others helps us become less anxious. Perhaps it is selfless act of thinking of others and outside of ourselves that brings a lighter heart.