Monday, June 1, 2009

On being relational

I wanted to share an excerpt from the book "Searching for God Knows what" by Donald Miller.  Its a good reminder on the importance of liking to be with people particularly for those that may be natural introverts.
"The most comforting characteristic of Chist is that He like people.  Were somebody to begin a religious system...They would write a book the way Muhammad did.  This would be the most logical way to communicate new ideas. 
 Writing in scrolls was not something that interested Jesus.  He never sat down and wrote a Mission Statement.  Instead, he accumulated friends, and allowed them to write about Him, talk about Him, testify about Him. Each of the Gospels reveals a Christ who ate with people, attended parties, prayed with people, traveled with people, and worked with people.  I can't imagine He would do this unless He actually like people and cared about them.  Jesus built our faith system entirely on relationships, forgoing marketing efforts and spins.
When asked what is the greatest commandment,  Jesus  replies that it is to love the Father, a relational exploit.  He adds to love as well our neighbor.  Christ is saying that the two most important commandments of God are to have in us a relational commitment to God and to other people."
If we look back on the different phases of our lives naturally their are ups and downs.  In my own life times of fulfillment are not associated with money, accomplishments, careers, or security.  Instead times of fulfillment seem to correlate with the strength and richness of relationships in my life; my marriage, my relationships with my children, my extended family, my church and my friends..and of course my relationship with God.   We should be encouraged here and now to invest in these things.
        

1 comment:

Megan N said...

I'm so happy to see that you are enjoying Donald Miller. I haven't read that book yet, but I love the 2 I have read. Keep sharing your thoughts for us!